Start in Your Yard!
A Keweenaw Wild Ones initiative to help you to transform your lawn into a
beautiful, wildlife friendly meadow
- Local showing of the native plant documentary Hometown Habitat
- Live presentation of “Why Native?” at the Portage Lake District Library
- Community read of Lawns into Meadows, Owen Wormser’s inspirational how-to book on growing native plants in your own yard. Click here to learn more and get a $10 discount on the book.
- Learn more here!
Welcome to the Wild Ones Keweenaw Chapter
We are on a journey to
- educate ourselves and others about the special attributes of native plants and how to incorporate them into our gardens and civic landscapes;
- create habitat that nurtures wildlife, including bees, butterflies, and birds; and
- develop resilient landscapes that absorb runoff, protecting water quality and infrastructure.
Regular meetings are held at 6 p.m., the third Tuesday of the month, alternating on Zoom and in person.
Want to grow native but don’t know where to begin?
Visit Wild Ones’ Native Garden Design website, featuring a several downloadable native garden plans created by professional landscape designers. The plans are free, printable, and come with plant lists.
We hope these resources inspire, encourage and motivate you in your native garden journey!